Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Full Time Positions
Director of Finance and Administration
The Director of Finance and Administration will report to the President and CEO.
- Responsible for performing all finance and accounting-related activities of the organization
- Monitoring and analyzing the financial performance of the organization to ensure that it is meeting its budgetary targets
- Working with the DC-based and International based program directors to manage the financial aspects of the programs and advising them on how to best allocate the financial resources in order to maximize effectiveness
- Overseeing financial aspects of grants to ensure that they meet all grantor-and legal reporting requirements
- Preparing all grant and financial reports quarterly and monthly
- Maintain all employees’ personnel files, health and tax records for the organization.
- Report any potential employee HR issues to the President and CEO.
Additionally, the incumbent will manage an outside audit firm and accounting support firm to assist with the organization's annual audit; oversee full-time Finance Coordinator and up to two part-time Finance interns; implement the Accounting and Investment Policies as needed, oversee human resources/benefits matters, and work with the executive staff on board related matters, including monthly financial reports, board and finance committee meetings, and related activity.
The Director of Finance and Administration will report to the President and CEO and should have excellent accounting and finance skills, impeccable attention to detail, strong oral and written communications skills, the ability to multitask, and is a self-starter but able to work in a team environment. Experience working with international partners or with volunteers and a Board of Directors would be ideal.
- 4+ years in a similar finance/accounting position at nonprofit organization.
- Hands-on experience managing federal grants, preferably Department of State/USAID, as well as major foundation grants.
- Knowledge of Abila (formerly Sage MIP) software preferred
- Experience working in an international-focused nonprofit/NGO or association preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree/MBA in Accounting or Finance and CPA certification required.
- Familiarity or fluency in a foreign language desirable, but not required.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "FIRST NAME LAST NAME Finance Director" in the subject line. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Conference and Events Internship
The intern will work directly with the Conferences & Events Manager and assist with all logistics related to planning the Diplomatic Gala and Spring Leadership Meeting in March 2015 and the 59th Annual Conference in July 2015. Duties will include, but are not limited to: helping organize speakers for workshops, answering inquiries from conference registrants, monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations through online registration site CVENT, tracking hotel housing reports, researching potential vendors and facilities, and conducting follow-up emails and phone calls to VIP attendees. The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants. This intern will also work closely with our Communications Department regarding various PR and marketing matters.
We are looking for organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software, including mail merging capabilities
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and elected officials
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "FIRST NAME LAST NAME Conference" in the subject line. Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Finance Intern will work mainly with the Finance Coordinator to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance, Human Resources and Administrative activities. The Director of Finance and Administration will serve as the primary supervisor. A $500 or $1000 stipend, based on work schedule, will be paid at the end of the internship.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coding and entering accounts payable transactions
- Preparing account reconciliations monthly
- Assisting with cash flow projection reports
- Preparing and entering journal entries
- Participating in monthly Finance Committee meetings
- Printing, distributing and mailing checks
- Interacting with vendors and customers as needed
- Processing payments and receipts
- Proofing budget and grant reconciliation documents
- Banking, filing, other tasks as assigned
Requirements & Skills
- Accounting, Finance or Business major/minor
- Outstanding communications skills both written and oral
- Successful completion of Accounting I or equivalent work experience
- Proficient computer and Internet skills, Excel and Word a plus, Sage accounting software ideal
- Responsive in dealing with inquiries and requests and an ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
How to apply:
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to Yvette Brown, CPA, Senior Director of Finance and Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of resumes, we will only contact candidates who are selected for an interview.
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
These interns work with the Membership department on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. These interns may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate or graduate program. Recent graduates will also be considered
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Close attention to detail is required
- Experience living or working abroad and fluency in a second language preferred, but not required
- Sense of humor
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "FIRST NAME LAST NAME Membership" in the subject line. Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Coordinator
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Coordinators. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Coordinator Job Description and Application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.