Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Full Time Opportunities
Membership Manager for Youth Programs
Do you want to make a difference and help to promote peace through mutual respect, cooperation, and understanding—one individual, one community at a time? Do you have a passion for international youth exchanges, cross-cultural communication, and city-to-city cooperation?
Sister Cities International’s Membership Department is seeking a Youth Manager to manage its J-1 Visa exchange program, Youth Leadership Summit, Young Artists and Authors Showcase, and other youth programs. SCI is a new J-1 Visa Sponsoring organization and the selected candidate will build and expand SCI’s High School Homestay exchange program in light of this status.
Job responsibilities include:
J1 Visa Exchange program (50%)
- Develop SCI’s J1 Secondary School Exchange Visitor Program to provide opportunities for international high school students looking to live and study in their U.S. sister city for a semester or academic year.
- Ensure compliance with regulations from the U.S. State Department, CSIET, and other state and local entities.
- Use the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to issue DS-2019 forms, update sponsor information, submit reports, and apply for redesignation every two years.
- Manage the application and placement process for 50 international exchange students in 2017, with an eye towards growth in future years.
- Recruit Local Coordinators and host families in SCI member cities.
- Review host family application paperwork and Local Coordinators’ monthly reports Ensure students are enrolled in health insurance.
- Assist in the production and dissemination of marketing materials and resources to assist members.
Youth Leadership Summit (20%)
- Organize and manage SCI’s annual Youth Leadership Summit, attended by approx. 100 high school students.
- Manage communication with registrants, speakers/panelists and host committee to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding conference details.
- Assist Director of Conferences and Events in developing a youth track for the annual conference.
- Assist in the recruitment of participants and marketing needs.
- Recruit speakers, chaperones, transportation, and manage the program agenda for the youth participants.
- Coordinate a Model UN activities or similar simulations for attendees.
- Manage paperwork for student registrants – code of conduct, hotel reservations, special needs.
Member Services (20%)
- Respond to requests from members for services, assistance, and networking.
- Produce informational resources or other materials for members as needed.
- Assist other departments by providing information about member activities and programs.
- Perform some administrative tasks or data entry associated with basic membership department procedures.
- Assist in member recruitment, renewals, and orientations.
Young Artists and Authors Showcase (10%)
- Catalogue entries and maintain a submission database.
- Recruit judging panels for each competition.
- Correspond with sponsors and participants in SCI member cities.
- Assist Communications Department in sending out press releases and updating the website.
- Assist in creation of marketing materials.
- Coordinate tour schedule for yearlong traveling art display.
- Minimum two years experience in J-1 Visa administration, including use of SEVIS.
- Experience working directly with youth in programs or events.
- Excellent telephone/writing/correspondence skills.
- Ability to manage relationships with people from diverse backgrounds/sectors, including municipal officials, volunteers, members of the diplomatic corps, and private businesses/nonprofits from both the U.S. and abroad.
- Experience in data management and compliance issues.
- Experience in high level customer service.
- Ability to manage multiple interns, chaperones, and other volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills, including time management.
- Passion for peacebuilding, international cooperation, and support of volunteers groups.
- A sense of humor and the ability to adapt to uncertainty or the occasional crisis.
- Event management experience.
- Master’s degree in international affairs, education, or similar field.
- Experience with CSIET programs and/or other international exchange programs for high school students.
- Foreign language proficiency.
- Experience working in a membership association.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter with the subject line "Membership Manager for Youth Programs - Your First Name and Last Name" to email@example.com.
Sister Cities International is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonpartisan association that has been working since 1956 to advance peace and prosperity through cultural, educational, humanitarian, and economic development exchanges. Sister Cities International represents over 570 member communities with partnerships in over 2,300 cities and 150 countries around the globe and serves as a hub for institutional knowledge and best practices in citizen diplomacy. EOE/M/F/T/D/V/SO
Become a State Representative
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Representatives. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Representative Job Description and Application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.