Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
There are no current full time opportunities with Sister Cities International. Please check back for future opportunities.
Note: All interns who work 20 hours/week for a full semester will receive a $500 stipend at the end of their internship.
The intern will assist the Communications Manager in a variety of projects becoming an integral part of the Sister Cities International team.
Duties range from writing, editing, press pitching, embassy outreach, public relations, social media, email marketing, media research, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in research, writing, social media, public relations, and/or international affairs.
The internship will provide an excellent opportunity to gain experience and insights in the fields of nonprofit communications and international affairs.
Start date is flexible in January 2017.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist with strategy and implementation of Sister Cities International's social media campaigns.
- Archive and classify press articles.
- Gather weekly news clips for broad circulation.
- Assist in writing and editing content for bi-weekly newsletter, blog, and other digital outreach.
- Research stories, activities, and trends in the sister city network.
- Research media outlets, create press lists, and draft press releases and media advisories.
- Spearhead outreach efforts to press, partner organizations, vendors, embassies, potential sponsors, etc.
- Support Conference and Events Director with conference and event related tasks such as marketing, material creation, and event registration.
- Upload content to the Sister Cities International website.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
- Undergraduate or graduate student with availability to work 20 hours per week.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Previous internship experience in writing, research, media, and/or social media preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
- Preferred: availability to volunteer at Sister Cities International’s Inaugural Gala on January 17, 2017.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Communications). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
These interns work with the Membership department on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. These interns may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability. Interns may also be included in assistance with the Spring Leadership Meeting, Inaugural Gala, and other special projects.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist with the Cities Seeking Cities program via research and correspondence
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Membership). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Representative
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Representatives. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Representative Job Description and Application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.