Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Director of Conferences and Events
Sister Cities International is a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network that creates and strengthens partnerships between U.S. and international communities. We strive to build global cooperation at the municipal level, promote cultural understanding and stimulate economic development. Sister Cities International is a leader for local community development and volunteer action. We motivate and empower private citizens, municipal officials and business leaders to conduct long-term sister city programs. We believe that sister city programs involve two-way communication and should mutually benefit partnering communities.
A main service of Sister Cities International (SCI), as a membership association, is to promote and engage our network through events. The Director of Conferences and Events will be instrumental in arranging and supporting Sister Cities International conferences and events by working with vendors, colleagues, sponsors, senior leadership, and members of the organization. The position will be entirely responsible for all organization events including but not limited to the Inaugural and Diplomatic Galas, the Annual Conference, Spring and Fall Leadership Meetings, and one-off projects such as the 2017 U.S-Russia Sister Cities Summit. This position reports to the President and CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a detailed calendar and timeline of all logistics for all events for SCI. Calendar and timeline should include an exhaustive list of everything logistically related to all meetings and events and should include specific deadlines and timelines.
- Manage city and venue/hotel site selection through RFP process.
- Develop and maintain event budgets and work with Finance Department to insure revenue and expenses are reconciled.
- Work with senior leadership and local host committee to recruit speakers and develop program; manage recruitment process by creating weekly status reports for all events.
- Manage registration using Cvent event software and communication with registrants, speakers and host committee to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding conference details.
- Manage hotel room block and other venue details while maintaining communication with venue POC from contracting to execution of event.
- Research all vendors and service providers prior to entering contract negotiations to ensure the best economic positioning for SCI and its members.
- On-site logistics lead; manage and organize all venue/vendor details to include food & beverage, audio visual, banquet set-ups.
- Develop sponsorship deliverables and manage all sponsor benefits directly with corporate donors. Work closely with Development Department on fundraising initiatives and event benefits associated with varying donor levels. Manage event silent auctions from solicitation of items to on-site organization.
- Assist Youth Manager in an advisory role on agenda, logistics, university housing, food and beverage for concurrent Youth Leadership Summit.
- Work closely with Board of Directors in respect to individual assigned committees and task forces and also with Chairman of the Board on leadership meeting program.
- Work closely with Communications Department to provide updated event information for SCI website, member updates and standalone event marketing emails.
- Additional tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of relevant logistics and event management experience required.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated individual that is able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Interest in international affairs and/or diplomacy.
- Experience in collaborating with finance and program teams in the preparation of budgets.
- Experience with working with a Board of Directors and senior leadership is preferred.
- Experience with sponsorships/partnerships is bonus.
- Experience with Cvent event software a plus.
Note: All interns who work 20 hours/week for a full semester will receive a $500 stipend at the end of their internship.
- Communications and Marketing Internship
- Membership and International Affairs Internship
- Youth Programs Internship
The intern will assist the Communications Manager in a variety of projects becoming an integral part of the Sister Cities International team.
Duties range from writing, editing, press pitching, embassy outreach, public relations, social media, email marketing, media research, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in research, writing, social media, public relations, and/or international affairs.
The internship will provide an excellent opportunity to gain experience and insights in the fields of nonprofit communications and international affairs.
Start date is flexible in January 2017.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist with strategy and implementation of Sister Cities International's social media campaigns.
- Archive and classify press articles.
- Gather weekly news clips for broad circulation.
- Assist in writing and editing content for bi-weekly newsletter, blog, and other digital outreach.
- Research stories, activities, and trends in the sister city network.
- Research media outlets, create press lists, and draft press releases and media advisories.
- Spearhead outreach efforts to press, partner organizations, vendors, embassies, potential sponsors, etc.
- Support Conference and Events Director with conference and event related tasks such as marketing, material creation, and event registration.
- Upload content to the Sister Cities International website.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
- Undergraduate or graduate student with availability to work 20 hours per week.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Previous internship experience in writing, research, media, and/or social media preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
- Preferred: availability to volunteer at Sister Cities International’s Inaugural Gala on January 17, 2017.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Communications). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
These interns work with the Membership department on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. These interns may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability. Interns may also be included in assistance with the Spring Leadership Meeting, Inaugural Gala, and other special projects.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist with the Cities Seeking Cities program via research and correspondence
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Membership). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Sister Cities International runs three major youth programs which include the J-1 High School Homestay Exchange (HSHS), the Young Artists and Authors Showcase (YAAS), and the Youth Leadership Summit (YLS).
The Spring Youth Programs Intern reports to the Membership Manager for Youth Programs and works on aspects of all three of these programs including research and marketing. They will assist the Membership Manager for Youth Programs in developing content for YLS in July 2017, with managing applications and answering questions from members regarding the HSHS program for the 2017/2018 school year, and in organizing the YAAS submissions and judging.
Start date is flexible in January 2017.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare handouts and other materials for the three youth programs
- Manage various member inquiries regarding the organization's youth programs
- Research youth programs at the local level for best practice guidance
- File and organize applications for the HSHS and YAAS
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interests of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate program
- Availability to work 20 hours per week
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Customer service experience preferred
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to multi-task
- Close attention to detail is required
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Youth). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Representative
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Representatives. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Representative Job Description and Application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.