Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Director of Conferences and Events
Sister Cities International is a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network that creates and strengthens partnerships between U.S. and international communities. We strive to build global cooperation at the municipal level, promote cultural understanding and stimulate economic development. Sister Cities International is a leader for local community development and volunteer action. We motivate and empower private citizens, municipal officials and business leaders to conduct long-term sister city programs. We believe that sister city programs involve two-way communication and should mutually benefit partnering communities.
A main service of Sister Cities International (SCI), as a membership association, is to promote and engage our network through events. The Director of Conferences and Events will be instrumental in arranging and supporting Sister Cities International conferences and events by working with vendors, colleagues, sponsors, senior leadership, and members of the organization. The position will be entirely responsible for all organization events including but not limited to the Inaugural and Diplomatic Galas, the Annual Conference, Spring and Fall Leadership Meetings, and one-off projects such as the 2017 U.S-Russia Sister Cities Summit. This position reports to the President and CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a detailed calendar and timeline of all logistics for all events for SCI. Calendar and timeline should include an exhaustive list of everything logistically related to all meetings and events and should include specific deadlines and timelines.
- Manage city and venue/hotel site selection through RFP process.
- Develop and maintain event budgets and work with Finance Department to insure revenue and expenses are reconciled.
- Work with senior leadership and local host committee to recruit speakers and develop program; manage recruitment process by creating weekly status reports for all events.
- Manage registration using Cvent event software and communication with registrants, speakers and host committee to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding conference details.
- Manage hotel room block and other venue details while maintaining communication with venue POC from contracting to execution of event.
- Research all vendors and service providers prior to entering contract negotiations to ensure the best economic positioning for SCI and its members.
- On-site logistics lead; manage and organize all venue/vendor details to include food & beverage, audio visual, banquet set-ups.
- Develop sponsorship deliverables and manage all sponsor benefits directly with corporate donors. Work closely with Development Department on fundraising initiatives and event benefits associated with varying donor levels. Manage event silent auctions from solicitation of items to on-site organization.
- Assist Youth Manager in an advisory role on agenda, logistics, university housing, food and beverage for concurrent Youth Leadership Summit.
- Work closely with Board of Directors in respect to individual assigned committees and task forces and also with Chairman of the Board on leadership meeting program.
- Work closely with Communications Department to provide updated event information for SCI website, member updates and standalone event marketing emails.
- Additional tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of relevant logistics and event management experience required.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated individual that is able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Interest in international affairs and/or diplomacy.
- Experience in collaborating with finance and program teams in the preparation of budgets.
- Experience with working with a Board of Directors and senior leadership is preferred.
- Experience with sponsorships/partnerships is bonus.
- Experience with Cvent event software a plus.
There are no internship opportunities at this time. Please check back later this Fall for Spring semester internship opportunities.
Become a State Representative
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Representatives. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Representative Job Description and Application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.