Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Full Time Positions
General Summary: This position is responsible for providing high-level executive, administrative, and managerial support to the President and CEO in the execution of her roles and responsibilities. The ideal candidate will have the acumen to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long term projects with the urgency of immediate demands of the organization’s operations, and be willing to assist with other departments and organizational needs as necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exert management and oversight of the President and CEO’s office to concentrate her time, effort, and priorities on strategic and fundraising initiatives
- Maintain the President’s official calendar, coordinate travel logistics, update contact lists
- Prepare routine high level correspondence including letters and memos, summarize information and written material
- Monitor, respond to, and distribute incoming correspondence and communications to the President and CEO’s office
- Facilitate the management of internal and external communications (to and from the Office of the President) to ensure responsive and timely attention to needs of all staff
- Assist the President and CEO to schedule and manage meetings within the organization
- Compile and reconcile expense reports for the President and CEO
- Record, transcribe, and disseminate minutes from the President and CEO’s meetings and distribute minutes in a timely manner to support consistent communication and record keeping
- Serve as a point of contact for the organization’s Board of Directors and other leadership personnel
- Keep clear records of all board member and leadership contact information in a database as well as board meeting minutes and agendas
- Answer and route telephone calls and inquiries from the public
- Responsible for administrative matters pertaining to supplies, equipment, and travel including purchasing and maintaining records
- Log all incoming mail/payments and follow standard operating procedures to process them
- Perform other related duties and additional tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; a degree with an international focus strongly preferred
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in busy executive office
- Experience in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks
- Experience with making international and domestic travel arrangements and preparing detailed itineraries and agendas for executives
- Experience with handling high level executives and officials preferred (e.g. federal and local government officials/employees, embassy and consulate officials/employees, etc.)
- Experience in collaborating with finance and program teams in preparation for meetings
- Detail oriented individual with the ability to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues, members, volunteers, and donors
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects
- Well-organized, flexible, and enjoys the administrative challenges of supporting a small office of diverse staff and programs/departments
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Demonstrated capacity to be detailed-oriented, function independently, and exercise discretion and judgment with sensitive matters
- Ability to initiate work and follow through with minimal supervision
- Adapt to changing priorities and balance competing assignments
- Proficiency with Windows computer applications, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Internet applications
- Salesforce experience necessary
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Executive Assistant" in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Communications and Research Internship
The intern will st the Communications Director and Communications Assistant in a variety of projects related to research, member communications, public relations, media, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in media, research, writing, social media, and website management.assi
Looking for candidate to start in January 2015 and intern for the spring semester.
Essential Job Functions:
- Research trends and activities in the sister city network and draft articles for the organization’s website.
- Archive and classify press articles.
- Research media organizations, create press lists, and draft press releases.
- Edit online and print materials.
- Monitor member communications and generate events lists for publication.
- Assist with Sister Cities International's social media campaigns.
- Assist Conference and Events Manager with event related tasks such as pre-conference marketing, registration, and on-site support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate or graduate student with availability to work 20 hours per week.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Previous internship experience in research, writing, or media preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to email@example.com with "Spring 2015 Communications and Research Internship" in the subject line. Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. No phone calls please.
Conference and Events Internship
The intern will work directly with the Conferences & Events Manager and assist with all logistics related to planning the Diplomatic Gala and Spring Leadership Meeting in March 2015 and the 59th Annual Conference in July 2015. Duties will include, but are not limited to: helping organize speakers for workshops, answering inquiries from conference registrants, monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations through online registration site CVENT, tracking hotel housing reports, researching potential vendors and facilities, and conducting follow-up emails and phone calls to VIP attendees. The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants. This intern will also work closely with our Communications Department regarding various PR and marketing matters.
We are looking for organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software, including mail merging capabilities
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and elected officials
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "FIRST NAME LAST NAME Conference" in the subject line. Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Finance Intern will work mainly with the Finance Coordinator to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance, Human Resources and Administrative activities. The Director of Finance and Administration will serve as the primary supervisor. A $500 or $1000 stipend, based on work schedule, will be paid at the end of the internship.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coding and entering accounts payable transactions
- Preparing account reconciliations monthly
- Assisting with cash flow projection reports
- Preparing and entering journal entries
- Participating in monthly Finance Committee meetings
- Printing, distributing and mailing checks
- Interacting with vendors and customers as needed
- Processing payments and receipts
- Proofing budget and grant reconciliation documents
- Banking, filing, other tasks as assigned
Requirements & Skills
- Accounting, Finance or Business major/minor
- Outstanding communications skills both written and oral
- Successful completion of Accounting I or equivalent work experience
- Proficient computer and Internet skills, Excel and Word a plus, Sage accounting software ideal
- Responsive in dealing with inquiries and requests and an ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
How to apply:
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to Yvette Brown, CPA, Senior Director of Finance and Administration at email@example.com. No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of resumes, we will only contact candidates who are selected for an interview.
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
These interns work with the Membership department on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. These interns may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate or graduate program. Recent graduates will also be considered
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Close attention to detail is required
- Experience living or working abroad and fluency in a second language preferred, but not required
- Sense of humor
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "FIRST NAME LAST NAME Membership" in the subject line. Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Coordinator
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Coordinators. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Coordinator Job Description and Application. Contact email@example.com for further information.