Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
There are no full time opportunities at this time. Please check back at a later date for new opportunities.
- Communications and Public Affairs Internship
- Conference and Events Internship
- Finance Internship
- Membership and International Affairs Internship
The intern will assist the Communications Manager in a variety of projects becoming an integral part of the Sister Cities International team.
Duties range from writing, press pitching, embassy outreach, public relations, social media, media research, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in public relations, research, writing, social media, and/or international affairs/diplomacy. Interns may also be included in assistance with the Fall Leadership Meeting September 10-12, 2016.
The internship will provide a window into the field of public diplomacy and nonprofit communications. It is an excellent opportunity to gain key communications and public relations skills.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Start date is flexible between August and September 2016.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist with strategy and implementation of Sister Cities International's social media campaigns.
- Archive and classify press articles.
- Gather weekly news clips for circulation.
- Assist in curating content for bi-weekly newsletter, blog, and other digital outreach.
- Research trends, activities, and stories from the sister city network.
- Research media outlets, create press lists, and draft press releases and media advisories.
- Spearhead outreach efforts to press, partner organizations, vendors, embassies, potential sponsors, etc.
- Support Conference and Events Director with conference and event related tasks such as marketing, material creation, and event registration.
- Upload content to the Sister Cities International website.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
- Undergraduate or graduate student with availability to work 20 hours per week.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Previous internship experience in writing, research, media, and/or social media preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Communications). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The intern will work directly with the Director of Conferences and Events and assist with all logistics related to planning the Fall leadership Meeting (September 2016), Inaugural Gala (January 2017), and the 61st Annual Conference (July 2017). Duties will include, but are not limited to: helping organize speakers for workshops, answering inquiries from conference registrants, monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations through online registration site CVENT, tracking hotel housing reports, researching potential vendors and facilities, and conducting follow-up emails and phone calls to VIP attendees. The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants. This intern will also work closely with our Communications Department regarding various PR and marketing matters.
We are looking for an organized individual with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software; mail merging capabilities is plus
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and elected officials
- Basic graphic design skills preferred
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Conference). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Finance Intern will work mainly with the Revenue Coordinator to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance, Human Resources and Administrative activities. The Revenue Coordinator will serve as the primary supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
- Coding and entering accounts payable transactions
- Interacting with vendors and customers as needed
- Processing payments and receipts
- Banking, filing, other tasks as assigned
- General administrative tasks
Requirements & Skills
- Accounting, Finance or Business major/minor
- Outstanding communications skills both written and oral
- Successful completion of Accounting I or equivalent work experience
- Proficient computer and Internet skills, Excel and Word a plus, Abila accounting software ideal
- Responsive in dealing with inquiries and requests and an ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- 20 hours per week
How to Apply
Please email resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com with “Fall 2016 Finance Internship” in the subject line.
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist with the Cities Seeking Cities program via research and correspondence
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate or graduate program. Recent graduates will also be considered
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Close attention to detail is required
- Experience living or working abroad and fluency in a second language preferred, but not required
- Sense of humor
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Membership and International Affairs). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Representative
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Representatives. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Representative Job Description and Application. Contact email@example.com for further information.