Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Full Time Positions
There are no full time positions available at this time.
Summer 2015 Internship Opportunities
- Conference & Events Internship
- Communications & Research Internship
- Finance Internship
- Membership Internship
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Membership). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The intern will work directly with the Conferences & Events Manager and assist with all logistics related to planning the 59th Annual Conference in July 2015. Duties will include, but are not limited to: helping organize speakers for workshops, answering inquiries from conference registrants, monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations through online registration site CVENT, tracking hotel housing reports, researching potential vendors and facilities, and conducting follow-up emails and phone calls to VIP attendees. The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants. This intern will also work closely with our Communications Department regarding various PR and marketing matters.
We are looking for organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software, including mail merging capabilities
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and elected officials
The intern will assist the Communications Director and Communications Assistant in a variety of projects related to research, member communications, public relations, media, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in media, research, writing, social media, and website management.
The internship will provide a window into the field of public diplomacy and nonprofit communications. It is an excellent opportunity to gain key communications and public relations skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Research trends and activities in the sister city network.
- Assist with Sister Cities International's social media campaigns.
- Archive and classify press articles.
- Research media organizations, create press lists, and draft press releases.
- Monitor member communications and generate events lists for publication.
- Upload content to the Sister Cities International website.
- Assist Conference and Events Manager with event-related tasks such as marketing and registration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Undergraduate or graduate student with availability to work 20 hours per week.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Previous internship experience in research, writing, or media preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
The Finance Intern will work mainly with the Finance Coordinator to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance, Human Resources and Administrative activities. The Director of Finance and Administration will serve as the primary supervisor. A $500 or $1000 stipend, based on work schedule, will be paid at the end of the internship.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coding and entering accounts payable transactions
- Preparing account reconciliations monthly
- Assisting with cash flow projection reports
- Preparing and entering journal entries
- Participating in monthly Finance Committee meetings
- Printing, distributing and mailing checks
- Interacting with vendors and customers as needed
- Processing payments and receipts
- Proofing budget and grant reconciliation documents
- Banking, filing, other tasks as assigned
Requirements & Skills
- Accounting, Finance or Business major/minor
- Outstanding communications skills both written and oral
- Successful completion of Accounting I or equivalent work experience
- Proficient computer and Internet skills, Excel and Word a plus, Sage accounting software ideal
- Responsive in dealing with inquiries and requests and an ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
These interns work with the Membership department on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. These interns may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate or graduate program. Recent graduates will also be considered
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Close attention to detail is required
- Experience living or working abroad and fluency in a second language preferred, but not required
- Sense of humor
Become a State Coordinator
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Coordinators. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Coordinator Job Description and Application. Contact email@example.com for further information.