Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Full Time Positions
Youth Programs Manager
Sister Cities International’s Membership Department is seeking a Youth Programs Manager to manage its J-1 Visa exchange program, Youth Leadership Summit, and other youth programs. SCI recently became a J-1 Visa Sponsor and the selected candidate will reorganize and expand SCI’s High School Homestay exchange program in light of this new status. Job responsibilities include:
J1 Visa Exchange program (60%)
- Develop SCI’s J1 Secondary School Exchange Visitor Program to provide opportunities for international candidates looking to travel and gain experience in their U.S. sister city
- Ensure compliance with applicable contract and sponsor requirements and following all SCI policies and procedures
- Use the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to issue DS-2019 forms, update sponsor information, and apply for redesignation every two years
- Recruit and select program participants
- Coordinate the application and placement process for 50 international exchange students in 2016, with an eye towards growth in future years
- Recruit host families
- Review host family application paperwork and Local Coordinators’ monthly reports to ensure compliance with US Department of State regulations
- Ensure students are enrolled in health insurance
- Submit timely reports to the US Department of State
- Assist in the production and dissemination of marketing materials and resources to assist members
Youth Leadership Summit (20%)
- Organize and manage SCI’s annual Youth Leadership Summit, attended by approx. 125 high school students
- Manage communication with registrants, speakers/panelists and host committee to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding conference details
- Assist Director of Conferences and Events in developing a youth track for the annual conference
- Assist in the recruitment of participants and marketing needs
- Recruit speakers, chaperones, transportation, and field trips for the youth participants
- Coordinate a Model UN activities or similar simulations for attendees
- Manage paperwork for student registrants – code of conduct, hotel reservations, special needs
Member Services (10%)
- Respond to requests from members for services, assistance, and networking
- Produce informational resources or other materials for members as needed
- Assist other departments by providing information about member activities and programs
- Perform some administrative tasks or data entry associated with basic membership department procedures
- Assist in member recruitment, renewals, and orientations
Young Artists and Authors Showcase (10%)
- Catalogue entries and maintain a submission database
- Recruit judging panel for both showcases
- Correspond with sponsors and participants in SCI member cities
- Maintain an updated Tumblr
- Assist Communications Department in sending out press releases and updating the website
- Assist in creation of marketing materials
- Coordinate tour schedule for yearlong traveling art display
- Minimum two years of experience in J-1 Visa administration, including use of SEVIS
- Experience working directly with youth in programs or events
- Excellent telephone/writing/correspondence skills
- Ability to manage relationships with people from diverse backgrounds/sectors, including municipal officials, volunteers, members of the diplomatic corps, and private businesses/nonprofits from both the U.S. and abroad
- Experience in data management and compliance issues
- Experience in high level customer service
- Ability to manage multiple interns, chaperones, and other volunteers
- Strong organizational skills, including time management
- Passion for peacebuilding, international cooperation, and support of volunteers groups
- A sense of humor and the ability to adapt to uncertainty or the occasional crisis
- Event management experience
- Master’s degree in international affairs, education, or similar field
- Foreign language proficiency
- Experience working in a membership association
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with "LAST NAME - Youth Programs Manager" in the subject line.
Fall 2015 Internships
Conference and Events Intern
The intern will work directly with the Conferences & Events Manager and assist with all logistics related to planning the 2015 U.S.-China Sister Cities Conference. Duties will include, but are not limited to: helping organize speakers for workshops, answering inquiries from conference registrants, monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations through online registration site CVENT, tracking hotel housing reports, researching potential vendors and facilities, and conducting follow-up emails and phone calls to VIP attendees. The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants. This intern will also work closely with our Communications Department regarding various PR and marketing matters.
We are looking for organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software, including mail merging capabilities
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and elected officials
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Conference). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
These interns work with the Membership department on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. These interns may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate or graduate program. Recent graduates will also be considered
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Close attention to detail is required
- Experience living or working abroad and fluency in a second language preferred, but not required
- Sense of humor
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Membership). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Communications and Marketing Intern
The intern will assist the Communications Director and Communications Assistant in a variety of projects related to research, member communications, public relations, media, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in media, research, writing, social media, and website management.
The internship will provide a window into the field of public diplomacy and nonprofit communications. It is an excellent opportunity to gain key communications and public relations skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Research trends and activities in the sister city network.
- Assist with Sister Cities International's social media campaigns.
- Archive and classify press articles.
- Research media organizations, create press lists, and draft press releases.
- Monitor member communications and generate events lists for publication.
- Upload content to the Sister Cities International website.
- Assist Conference and Events Manager with event-related tasks such as marketing and registration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Undergraduate or graduate student with availability to work 20 hours per week.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Previous internship experience in research, writing, or media preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Communications). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Finance Intern will work mainly with the Finance Coordinator to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance, Human Resources and Administrative activities. The Director of Finance and Administration will serve as the primary supervisor.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coding and entering accounts payable transactions
- Preparing account reconciliations monthly
- Assisting with cash flow projection reports
- Preparing and entering journal entries
- Participating in monthly Finance Committee meetings
- Printing, distributing and mailing checks
- Interacting with vendors and customers as needed
- Processing payments and receipts
- Proofing budget and grant reconciliation documents
- Banking, filing, other tasks as assigned
Requirements & Skills
- Accounting, Finance or Business major/minor
- Outstanding communications skills both written and oral
- Successful completion of Accounting I or equivalent work experience
- Proficient computer and Internet skills, Excel and Word a plus, Sage accounting software ideal
- Responsive in dealing with inquiries and requests and an ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Finance). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Coordinator
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Coordinators. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Coordinator Job Description and Application. Contact email@example.com for further information.