Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
Full Time Positions
Check back regularly for full-time positions with Sister Cities International.
Become a State Coordinator
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Coordinators. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Coordinator Job Description and Application. Contact email@example.com for further information.
Spring 2014 Internships
We are now accepting applications for the spring 2014 internship period. Please see below for detailed information about our openings and how to apply. No phone calls please. Compensation in the form of a stipend is provided at the end of the internship.
Sister Cities International's Membership Department serves three major functions. The department is responsible for membership recruitment and retention, identifying and nurturing sister city community partnerships, and providing general customer service to the membership. The department is the first point of contact for our members and therefore maintains working knowledge of all programs within the organization.
This intern works with the Membership Director and the Membership & Program Research Coordinator on day-to-day operations, including research and recruitment of members, identifying possible city-to-city partnerships, preparation for meetings with visiting international delegations, responding to members, and special projects depending on the skills and desires of the intern. The intern may be asked to assist with meetings with member communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia depending on the intern's availability.
Essential Job Functions
- Conduct research for recruitment and retention campaigns
- Prepare materials and information for upcoming meetings and conferences
- Website and Database management
- Receive international delegations to the Sister Cities International Office
- Assist international communities as they consider American partnerships
- Research and compose member related content for website
- Correspond with current and potential members
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interest of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate or graduate program. Recent graduates will also be considered
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Close attention to detail is required
- Experience living or working abroad and fluency in a second language preferred, but not required
- Sense of humor
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Spring 2014 Membership Internship” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is December 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM EST.
Conference & Events Intern
The intern will work directly with the Conferences & Events Manager and assist with all logistics related to planning Board meetings, the Annual Conference, and the upcoming 2014 U.S.-China Sister Cities Conference. Duties will include, but are not limited to: helping organize speakers for workshops, answering inquiries from conference registrants, monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations, tracking hotel housing reports, researching potential vendors and facilities, and writing articles for newsletters and publications. The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants.
We are looking for organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume w/cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software, including mail merging capabilities;
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and government officials.
- $500 stipend
- Potential for extension to Summer 2014 semester depending on performance
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com with “Spring 2014 Conference and Events Internship” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is December 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM EST.
Finance and Accounting Intern
The Finance and Accounting Intern will assist the Finance Director and Coordinator in executing all necessary task associated with non-profit financial management.
- Assist with month-end financial reports
- Prepare journal entries
- Assist with accounts receivable, payable and bank statement reconciliation
- Assist with audits
- Balance sheet reconciliation
- Organizing and archiving past financial information/records
- Attend Finance committee meetings monthly
- Support various office activities (light phone duty, filing, organization)
- Data entry
- Ad hoc analysis
Applicants should be Business, Finance, or Accounting majors ONLY with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Attention to detail, the ability to multi-task and excellent communication skills are all essential to this position.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Spring 2014 Finance and Accounting Internship” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is December 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM EST.
The intern will assist the Development Manager in a variety of projects focused on resource and fund development. Applicants should have an interest and experience in fundraising and proposal writing. Working knowledge of the US Department of State and USAID RFP process is also a plus.
Candidates must be organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines.
- Research corporations, foundations, and other funding opportunities
- Draft letters, donor correspondences, and press releases
- Assist in office communication
Skills, Abilities & Experience:
- Previous work experience required
- Knowledge of various RFP processes and proposal development and writing preferred
- Must be able to work independently
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings
- Ability to multi-task and pay close attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com with “Spring 2014 Development Internship” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is December 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM EST.